Northern Vietnam is full of culture and natural wonders. Its three most popular destinations, Hanoi, Ha Long Bay and Sa Pa, are also among the most visited in Vietnam. The origin of Vietnamese culture and history is mostly from this region, especially the area around Hanoi. Its shoreline contains many beautiful islands, some of which are untouched. Many backpackers also favor the impressive landscape in the northern mountains in Ha Giang and Sa Pa. With Hanoi consistently ranking among the world’s top 10 destinations by TripAdvisor, the region gets more touristy every day; one can now find European tourists as far as Ha Giang, one of the most remote provinces.
With the latest economic and building booms, traditionally farming provinces around Hanoi, such as Bac Ninh, Thai Nguyen, Hung Yen and Hai Duong, have now been largely industrialized.
The division of the region:
- Northwest – 6 provinces: Lao Cai, Yen Bai, Dien Bien, Hoa Binh, Lai Chau, Son La
- Northeast – 9 provinces: Ha Giang, Cao Bang, Bac Kan, Lang Son, Tuyen Quang, Thai Nguyen, Phu Tho, Bac Giang, Quang Ninh
- The Red River Delta – 10 provinces: Bac Ninh, Ha Nam, Ha Noi, Hai Duong, Hai Phong, Hung Yen, Nam Dinh, Ninh Binh, Thai Binh, Vinh Phuc.
- Hanoi: the capital of Vietnam
- 2 largest port cities: Hai Phong & Quang Ninh
View Map of regions of Vietnam – Vietnam, Destination and Travel Tips